« Home | THE KIWI UNDERBELLY » | SOME VIEWS ON NEW ZEALAND » | HOUSES I HAVE LIVED IN - MAKU MAKU 1981-1982 » | KARL PILKINGTON » | NEW ZEALAND NEWS MEDIA » | JESUS CAMP » | NEW AGE- THE SUBCONSCIOUS » | NI HAO TAIWAN » | STEVE IRWIN » | INTO THE GREAT WIDE OPEN » 

18.10.06 

BUDDIHISM 101

I have been studying the Dhammapada, the single most important Buddhist text. It is where many of the Buddha’s key ideas are presented in a cogent verse form. I have also been reading other key Buddhist concepts which are illustrated by various original texts.

I have read no commentary on these texts -which is probably a good thing- so some of my thoughts and questions may be misguided due to a lack of understanding of historical context and knowledge of traditions.

From what I understand, the Buddhist life is a process of releasing ones-self from the desires, passions and things of this world.

We aim for a higher plain where we are free from everything in this world.

When we reach nirvana, we are no longer under the burden of the cycle of life and death.

Much of the teaching is based on how to think and act in order to release ones self from the constraints of this world.

We are to become so selfless that ‘I’ no longer exists.

Attaching ourselves to people and things simply creates unhappiness later on because these things will leave us in pain.

Much of the text teaches that being attached to anything will only create pain when it is gone, therefore don’t get attached and you will never feel pain.

But then, I don’t think we will feel pleasure either.

It seems to be a miserable way to look at life and people. Sure we get attached to things too much -like my I-pod- but to say the same of relationships, art, literature and culture is a shame.

Of course, a lot of emphasis is placed on Karma. Do well to others and things and it will come back to bless you. This concept is not new, it also exists within Christianity –what you reap you sow.

What I find interesting about this theory is it is portrayed as a selfless model. But It isn’t, it is selfish –only do good stuff so you can get good stuff later on, don’t do bad stuff and you won’t get bad stuff happen to you later on. Weather this is external actions or internal thought, the premises remains the same; what can I get out of it? If it were truly selfless it would be, do and think good stuff regardless of anything.

To me this concept of Karma within Buddhism appears little contradictory because If there is no 'I' it should not matter what I get in return and therefore Karma is no incentive for a good life.

Some may argue that my perspective is to individualistic. The idea of Karma is about the whole world being one and therefore it is about good things coming back to the whole of creation not me the individual –because me the individual doesn’t exist. My problem with this is that the verses in the Dhammapada are very individualistic and practical. They are about how one person should conduct their individual lives by actions towards all living things and thoughts about the world. To me the teaching still appears very individualistic and therefore I can only conclude that Karma is an individual concept.

There is one story in the Dhammapada, which has me confused, is about a student who approaches the Buddha asking if the universe is eternal or not. In reply the Buddha tells the story of a man what had been stabbed. A doctor comes to help him. The stabbed man tells the doctor to not touch him until he finds out the name and address of the man who stabbed him, the type of blade that he was stabbed with and where the blade was made. The man dies before all the questions could be answered.

The lesson is that we should not be asking peripheral questions but focussing on life now. This teaching reminds me of my Bible College days when I was told by the leaders that I think to much and I should simply pray and obey without asking questions.

That’s about it for now.