« Home | OBEY GOD OR GO TO JAIL » | SELFISHNESS, LINGUISTICS & AA » | CLIMBING AN ENDLESS LADDER » | JESUS A COMMY? » | ENVIRO - MENTAL » | IS THE TRINITY AN IDOL? » | QUESTION THIS » | QUESTION EVERYTHING » | WWJD » | ADAM, EVE & THE BAD APPLE » 

7.3.06 

BECOME

I have moved down to Wellington. I’m living away from my partner, I’m poor, eating rice and tuna, and sleeping in the store room of a dirty flat. I’m here doing a graduate diploma in Journalism. It’s depressing. The more I read and the more I see journalists chasing people down the street for a silly emotive quote the more I wonder what the hell I’m doing here.

At the edge of ditching it all I remind myself why I’m putting myself though this.
I want to change the world, I believe it can be changed and I think its worth changing.

I believe that journalism, real journalism, gives me a platform to do this. I will use this year to learn tools and find ways to communicate and challenge others and myself on dumb ideologies and stereotypes.

What stings me the most is that I don’t know where to start or how to do it. I’m not fascinating, talented, nor brilliant. But I see a gap and want to meet it. I’m saving up for a camera and there is an editing suite at university. I’m going to begin by making some small docos. I will make mistakes and I will be frustrated and hungry. But I will be satisfied that I’m doing what I’m made for.
I am no longer satisfied in waiting for the right time to do what I really want to do. It’s all in my court. All of the people that I knew five years ago who were faking it have now become what they were pretending to be.

Cheers Frank, Sometimes I feel like I am far too much of an idealist and a dreamer, even to the point that it’s cheesy.
But then, why the hell not? Pragmatists and critics spent their lives commenting on other peoples actions. Bugger that, Id rather cut my own track. Even if I fall flat on my face at least I’m doing something.

dude, dont doubt yourself. The cheesey stuff is often the good stuff.

Think outside the square. Don't limit yourself, dont assume any kinds of constraints, dont think you have to follow the well worn groove others have carved. Explore outside the square with your own mind not minding too much when others tell you your not following the groove. Falling flat on your face is a good learning experience :-)

I like the little phrase of ten 2 letter words :- if it is to be it is up to me.

Most important thing is to take some kind of action every day to achieve what you want. Not think about it, but actual phyiscal action. This is where most of the dreamers tend to fall down. I personally keep learning and relearning this lesson.

or to quote yoda "do or do not, there is no try" :-)

Post a Comment